skip to Main Content
If you are interested in any of our models please call into our new showroom for a tour of our tiny homes, 376 Princes Highway, Ulladulla. We are open Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 3.30pm - closed weekends. Please park along highway. 02 44804204

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do I need council approval to have a Tiny Home?

A:  The information here is for NSW only.  This ruling may vary from State to State.  We strongly advise you check this information with your local council.

The Local Government (Manufactured Home Estates, Caravan Parks, Camping Grounds and Moveable Dwellings) Regulation 2005 states that the prior approval of the council is NOT required for:

  1. 77  Installations for which approval not required
    1. (1)  The approval of the council is not required for the installation of the following—
      1. (a)  2 caravans or tents if they are not occupied for—
        1. (i)  more than 2 consecutive days, and
        2. (ii)  more than 60 days in a 12 month period,
      2. (b)  1 caravan on land occupied by the owner of the caravan in connection with the owner’s dwelling house if the caravan is—
        1. (i)  used for habitation only by the owner or members of the owner’s household, and
        2. (ii)  maintained in a safe and healthy condition,
      3. (c)  a caravan on pastoral or agricultural land if the caravan is merely occupied seasonally by persons employed in pastoral or agricultural operations on the land, or
      4. (d)  a moveable dwelling or associated structure on land to accommodate a displaced person if the moveable dwelling or associated structure is—
        1. (i)  maintained in a safe and healthy condition, and
        2. (ii)  removed within 2 years after it is installed.
    2. (2)  In this section—
      caravan includes campervan.
  2. 78  Approval not required for installation of caravan, campervan or tent on certain landThe approval of the council is not required for the installation of a caravan, campervan or tent on—
    1. (a)  a Crown reserve, or
    2. (b)  land reserved or dedicated under the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974.

    Note— The use of caravans, campervans and tents on Crown reserves is dealt with under the Crown Land Management Act 2016.

    The use of caravans, campervans and tents on lands reserved or dedicated under the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974 is dealt with under that Act.

  3. 79  Plans must accompany applications for approval


An application for approval to install a moveable dwelling or associated structure must be accompanied by the following—

  1. (a)  2 copies of the plans and specifications for the moveable dwelling,
  2. (b)  2 copies of the plans and specifications for fences already erected or intended to be erected,
  3. (c)  2 copies of the site plan of the land,
  4. (d)  2 copies of a sketch plan of the moveable dwelling indicating—
    1. (i)  the height of the moveable dwelling, and
    2. (ii)  the proposed external configuration of the moveable dwelling in relation to the site.

The plans must—


(a) be drawn to a suitable scale, and not be less than A4 size, and

(b) a diagram of the dwelling site for the rigid annexe indicating whether the setback, density, open space and site identification requirements of this Part have been complied with.

Q: Why do I need a Tiny Home?

A: You would benefit from owning a Tiny Home if you need:

(1) Additional housing. If a dwelling already exists, in almost all cases you don’t need a DA to have a caravan. A tiny could be used for an extra room for a growing family, housing for relatives or university students, home office or studio, hobbies room, games or pool room, short-term holiday accommodation, study room for a high schooler, nanny or au pair quarters. This includes residential and farm blocks.

(2) Temporary accommodation during construction of a new house  (and once the main house is complete you have a guesthouse for extra space or it can be relocated to another site).

(3) To achieve sustainability and have less of an impact on the environment.

(4) Accommodation on a rural block that has no building entitlement but allows for a caravan.

(5) Holiday accommodation at a caravan park, similar to that of a cabin. It is essentially a caravan with an optional annexe.

(6) Holiday accommodation by registering with ‘Airbnb’

(7) Temporary accommodation on an agricultural site.

(8) Need to be mortgage free. Oh, the possibilities!

Q: How much does a Tiny Home weigh?

A: Weights vary depending on the model.  Maximum allowable is 4.5 tonnes.

Q: Where do you build the Tiny Homes?

A: The Tiny Home is built in our workshop. Therefore, there is no construction noise or mess on your site. If you order the Annexe series, we will construct the trailer and annexe in our workshop, and then deliver the two parts.

Q: Can the Tiny Home be off-grid?

A: Yes it can.  A solar trailer Tiny Houses And Solar Power is a great way to provide power to your property when a regular roof top installation is just not possible. They can be positioned up to 50m away from your power feed and orientated to perfectly capture the sun. You can even move the solar to suit summer or winter light conditions. We offer two base sizes and can custom make larger systems if you require. They all come fitted with an auto start generator so the batteries can always be topped up in any weather conditions.

For more information on each model available follow this link

Q: I want to make some changes to your designs. Can I customise my Tiny Home?

A: Yes! We are a custom build company, so if you have chosen a model from our Custom Design models we can build to suit whatever layout you want and/or your budget. Please complete our custom design template and email it to us for a free quote. You can change most of the internal and external features.  Just remember that the entrance door must be on the kerb side or rear to comply.

Q: Is there a payment plan?

A: For our custom design Tiny Home builds we offer progress payments as follows:

  • Booking Fee (non-refundable) $15,000.00 (secures your position on our build schedule)
  • Stage 1 – Confirmation of Custom Design $2,500.00
  • Stage 2 – Base Trailer
  • Stage 3 – Timber Frame
  • Stage 4 – Lock Up
  • Stage 5 – Completion Ready for Pick Up

If you need finance for your tiny home click on this link for Handypay

Q: Is the Tiny Home insulated?

A: Yes, it has double insulation in the walls and roof minimising energy needed for heating and cooling. In addition, all windows are double-glazed. If you require insulation under the floor this can be added.

Q: How do I get water?

A: Our standard Tiny Home connects with a garden hose like a traditional caravan. Rainwater collection into tanks is another option.  We offer an onsite rainwater DIY kit (10,000 litre tank, 12v Sureflo pump; downpipes and fittings) or we can install built in water tanks as follows:

80 Litre water tank and 12v Sureflo water pump system

120 Litre water tank and 12v Sureflo water pump system

All Tiny Homes come with a built in gutter system.  Downpipes need to be added after delivery due to width.

Q: I would like to see a Tiny Home in person. Do you have one on display?

A: You can make an appointment to come and view our Tiny Homes.  We have an active workshop with up to 8 tiny homes to view at various stages. At most times there is at least 1 Tiny Home 100% complete but not guaranteed.  We advise you call to check.  When you arrive you will need to check in at our office.  Please be aware that to visit us you will need to follow the current COVID-19 protocols as set out by the NSW Government.

Q: How do I connect to power?

A: Our standard Tiny Home runs on a solar/mains hybrid electrical system. It runs off solar with battery storage for the lights and a 15amp mains power for the appliances (such as a full size fridge, TV etc). The Tiny Home plugs in by an electrical lead like a traditional caravan. You can have more or less solar if desired.

Q: Is the bedding in the loft supplied?

A:  No.  The customer usually supplies the mattress.   NOTE: It is important to have airflow under the mattress so we advise having a slatted bed base.   The slatted bed base not only allows air flow it also keeps the shape of the mattress in tact.  There are a few options to achieve this.  Here is a link to Ikea for some ideas.  Slatted Bed Base

Q: Can you build the deck or veranda for us?

A:  Due to the distance and time factors we prefer not to do this for our customers as it can become very expensive for both parties.  It is advisable that if you want to add on a deck or veranda that you get in a local tradesman or if you are handy do it yourself.

Q: How will my Tiny Home go in a high bushfire area?

A:  There are always risks with any kind of accommodation in bush fire prone areas or high flooding areas.  Choose the area carefully on your block/land where you want your Tiny to go and what effects the elements may have.  We advise that you keep the wheels on so you can easily vacate the property.  Different materials may be used in the construction of your tiny also which may be more suited to bushfire zones.  This should be discussed during the design process.  We have information we can provide upon request regarding fire prone areas around Australia, what to do in case of a bush fire and information on putting a fire plan in place.

Q: Where can I put my Tiny?

A. If you don’t have access to a backyard, property, block of land or a bush block, you could try caravan parks and/or Tiny Home communities.  Some of our customers have had success  searching on Gumtree.

Q: Once delivered and placed, can I take the wheels off?

A: Yes, you can take the wheels off. However, we strongly suggest that if your land is flood prone or bush fire prone you leave the wheels on.  The trailer itself is fixed and cannot be removed.  Your Tiny is always considered a caravan, even if the wheels are off. To move it in the future, you can apply for an unregistered vehicle permit up to 28 days.  A caravan must remain capable of being registered (NSW).  This may vary from state to state.

Q: Do you build with timber or steel frames?

A: We build with timber frames and we build them all in our wharehouse.

Q: Do you deliver?

A: We offer a delivery service Australia wide through Tiny Towing.  You can contact Marc direct for a quote on 0400 808490 or email [email protected]

The total cost of the tiny homes does not include the delivery fee.

Q: Which model is best for me?

A: Please feel free to call or email us to discuss which model would best suit your needs. You will find our models under the “Tiny homes +” tab.  We have a variety of shapes and sizes to select and all can be changed to suit your own design requirements.

Q: Can I travel around in my Tiny Home?

A: All models can travel around.  We recommend that you consider our Adventure Series (one of three models) if you would like to move your tiny home frequently. This is mainly due to the weight and shape of the Tiny. The trailer frame is hardy and has the durability to be moved.

Q: I don’t want my Tiny Home right now, but I want to lock in a date for delivery. How can I do this?

A: You can pay a 15% non-refundable booking fee and secure a placeholder position, which allows you to have your Tiny Home delivered as soon as you are ready.

Q: How do I connect the sewage?

See here for instructional videos

A: There are a few options at an additional cost:  (1) Connect to existing sewer system (mains or septic) by engaging a local plumber.  A Tiny Home comes with a standard flushing toilet ready for your local plumber to connect to your existing system.   If there’s no existing sewer system available you have the option of either: (1) a composting toilet or (2) installing a septic tank system to connect to your flushing toilet.  If you choose the composting toilet option here is a helpful video on the composting system from how to install to how to maintain. Composting Toilet Information

Q: What are the maximum dimensions I can have?

A: The maximum height from ground to ridge is 4.3m.  The maximum trailer length that we make is 8.4m. The maximum width is 2.4m; additionally an annexe can be incorporated to give a width of 4.8m. The annex is fixed to the ground (not on wheels). In our non custom range we can go to a 9.6 metre, ground floor only, tiny home.

Q: What do I need to do to prepare for the delivery of my Tiny Home?

A:  When your Tiny is ready for delivery we will give you plenty of notice so you can (a) make sure the area your Tiny will be going is level, (b) make sure the area is accessible, i.e. no over hanging branches, driveway wide enough etc.

For more information about delivery preparation get in touch with Marc at Tiny Towing on 0400 808490 or email [email protected]

Q: Can I build a deck or veranda around my Tiny?

A:  It’s best to check with local council rules on decking.  For NSW, decks are exempt from DA however we advise you should check on requirements. The deck should be built in accordance with Planning NSW Exempt Development guidelines.  For more information go to

Q: Can I buy a trailer and build myself?

A. Our company now sells individual trailers and shells. This is a great way for people to undertake some DIY.  You can buy a trailer and start from scratch yourself or we can take care of all the hard parts and build the shell to lock up –  water tight ready for the owner to install their own custom internal layout. The units are unpainted, no lining, insulation, plumbing or electrical. Gives you a blank canvas to create your own unique space. Ideal for those wanting to do some DIY but daunted by the idea of making the frame and trailer etc.

Q: Insurance for my Tiny?

A: You can insure your tiny home just as you would a caravan or car.  Check with your motor vehicle insurer first.  Otherwise we recommend you contact insurance broker Paul Bentvelzen on 02 4731 5335.

Grant answers some questions … 

    Back To Top